Monday, August 30, 2010

It never rains...

I've not mentioned it previously, but I'm in the early stages of trying to write my own book. I got tired of people saying, in response to some complaint I would make about another persons book, " Well if you think you can do better...." so since I do think I can do better, I'm trying my hand at it..

I never expect anything to come from it. I never even intend to submit it to any agents. I simply want to see if I can do it.

The odds aren't in my favor even if I were so inclined. That is something thats been intoned into my brain over and over and over again by countless blogs, and websites that all claim to be able to help you write a Query or Proposal. But I think they really are just anti-creativity landmines waiting patiently for some one to step on them and get their literary legs blown off.

Many of them pack the force of small nuclear yields when wielded against a persons creative impulses. You are left with an all pervasive sense of " Why even bother then? ". After several days of reading them, I've felt that same way. but have slowly been able to pull myself back from the brink of total despondency. And it frequently makes me wonder, with the odds so stacked against a person.. how does so much amazingly bad fiction make it into the corner book store?

2 comments:

Brian Murphy said...

Don't give up man, let the bad fiction inspire you. If you can do better than some of the junk on the shelves (and I agree with you, there is a lot of junk out there) then you can be published, no matter what the naysayers think.

Lagomorph Rex said...

Well I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Right now the problem is just trying to narrow down my ideas enough to actually extrude something resembling a plot, rather than more or less a " Vague Heroic Ideal "..