Monday, September 20, 2010

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

I'll admit it now, until two days ago I had never seen any of the Original Series Star Trek films all the way through.

Sure, I'd caught them in part many many times on cable, and never bothered to watch them. Maybe it was because of the commercials or maybe its because I've never really been able to sit and watch a movie all the way through. I fidget and have to take frequent breaks..I'll read while watching, or do something else.. I can't stand to just sit in one place for 2+ hours..

But netflix recently added, along with the bulk of the star trek films (I think all of them except Generations) to its instant view system.. so I decided I would make myself sit in one place and watch them all, all the way through. So starting with the first one, and with only one intermission, I finished it in the same night I began.

I didn't hate it, I didn't think it moved to slowly, and I didn't even mind that it recycled aspects of a TV episode.. I really liked the score. The thing that actually drove me nuts, were the costumes. I really disliked the white spandex.. it was not as bad as the wool sweaters from "The Cage".. but it was pretty bad.. the special effects I liked, the script I liked..

So now that I've seen it, I'm going to continue and watch what most people think to be the best star trek film ever.. "Wrath of Khan".. which is also the only one I've seen better than half of.

No comments: