Friday, February 19, 2010

movie reveiw - Almost Famous.

Having heard of this film many times but never actually having seen it, I put it on my Netflix que and got it in the mail. I wound up watching the movie twice before sending it back.

I've seen several of Crowe's movies but never thought much of them.. But this one I really enjoyed. Probably a lot of that had to do with the music.. I'm a huge huge fan of all the rock groups from the late 60's and early 70's..

the film itself is roughly based on Crowe's own experiences growing up and writing for Rolling Stone Magazine.. specifically its based on two expeditions he made for the magazine where he toured with the Allman brothers and Led Zeppelin right before Physical Graffiti hit.. I can only imagine how amazing it must have been.. so the movie lets me live a bit of that vicariously..

The movie features an good assortment of actors.. Patrick Fugit plays the main character, William, who gets a job from Lester Bangs (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) to write 1000 words on Black Sabbath.. Unable to get in for the main act, William hooks up with the opening act "Stillwater".. whos Singer is played by Jason Lee (Mallrats, My Name is Earl) and guitarist played by Billy Crudup.. (Dr. Manhatten from Watchmen). Patricks sister is played by the always quirky Zooey Deschenal(hitchikers guide to the galaxy) and his mom played by Francis Mcdormand(Fargo).. and Jimmy Fallon as a slimy record executive.. The movie also features a cameo by Peter Frampton.

There is apparently a longer version of this movie floating around, but dosen't seem available in the US, and costs way to much to import from the UK..

Speaking of Jimmy Fallon, I also watched the 1997 original of Fever Pitch with Colin Firth, which was remade in the US to be about Baseball and starred Jimmy Fallon.

No comments: